Thursday, November 18, 2010

October 2010 - what a month!

Wow.

It is incredible how much can change over the course of a month. At the beginning of October, both were still getting nightly bottles, Lily was crying before preschool every day, Lukasz was napping for 2-3 hrs a day, had a soother, was still in diapers.

Now? Lily LOVES school and sometimes is impatient to say goodbye to me so she can go in already. The kids no longer have bottles at all. Lukasz no longer has a soother. He no longer naps. And he's potty trained.

I'm still adjusting to being home with 2 children who don't nap. It's a major change. I think it's been a big hard on Lily because she always used to have this one on one time with me every afternoon and now she doesn't. But Lukasz does when she's in school and I think it's been great for both him and I. Lily and I get our time together when we go to her keyboard class on Saturdays, but it's not the same as just hanging out quietly for a couple of hours, which is what we used to do.

I had no idea that taking Lukasz's soother away would suddenly cause him to stop napping. Warning to moms and future moms! :o)

And he's talking in pretty complete sentences. He's at the stage where his vocabulary is exploding and I LOVE IT. The learning to talk phase has been my absolute favourite so far. His pronunciation is pretty good with most things he says, but I love how anything hot is still "hock" and one of his very favourite foods is still "blocklees". Yes, my son loves broccoli. Tonight he ate three huge helpings of it and refused to eat his chicken.

Lily's interests are blossoming and I'm having a hard time keeping up with her creativity. She loves to draw, paint, dance and sing. I have a huge stack of her artwork and am at a loss as to what to do with it all! I could cover all the walls in our apartment with her work, I'm pretty sure. :) It's amazing to hear what she has learned in school - she knows the continents, the days of the week, the months of the year, can count to 100. I only found out she knew the continents because she sang a song and named them all. I made sure to put up a little world map on the wall where she can look at it whenever she wants, and I pointed out to her all the continents and where we live. They seem to be introducing the kids to some pretty advanced stuff, and I know the kids are still sponges and just eat it all up, but I hope they are giving the kids enough visuals and examples and activities to make all these big words real to them. I watch how discouraged and difficult Lily can get when she doesn't get something about her keyboard class, and I don't want her feeling that way with anything she's learning in school.

Here are captioned photos from all of October. There are 180, so I'm not going to put them up here... click on "Show Info" at the top right and the captions I've written will drop down.


Enjoy!

No comments: