Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Making dinner

Dinner is a challenge to make some nights... okay, many nights. Tatus rarely gets home before 7 p.m. because he works downtown, so I've had to get really creative with keeping Lily and Lukasz busy and getting a healthy dinner on the table. Tatus and I both really like potatoes. Funnily enough, Lily and Lukasz both don't like potatoes, although most times they will eat this particular dish.
Every once in a while I make these cheesy scalloped potatoes; it seems to take me about two hours, with peeling and thinly slicing all the potatoes, chopping up onion and garlic and ham, grating cheese...
The process looks something like this:




Voila! Yum yum!
And the mystery behind how I am able to make this while keeping an eye on Lily and Lukasz:Lily happily plays with grains of barley, scooping and measuring. And I can tape some paper to Lukasz's chair for him to colour, or just give him different plastic kitchen tools (measuring cups, etc.) to play with. They don't sit for 2 hours, of course, but they sometimes sit happily long enough for me to get all the chopping done.

Good kids! Yummy dinner!

No comments: